Friday, November 19, 2010

Vegie Tales - Ha!

I am blessed that I happen to LOVE vegies!  I do feel for folks who don't because they not only are really HEALTHY - but, of course, lower in calories and fill me up.  Thought I would share how I make two vegies that Danny and I love AND also wanted to ask if anyone has a favorite way to fix vegies to share???  

FRESH GREEN BEANS


Wash and snip just the ends with kitchen shears.  Place in large pot with chicken broth, fresh ground pepper, 2 or three cloves of minced garlic, and 1 thinly sliced onion.  Cook over medium high heat till tender.  Usually, I will then move them to my crockpot and keep on low till dinner.  I will sometimes sprinkle almonds on them once they are in the serving bowl.  Wonderful!

Collard Greens  (are my West Va. Roots showing???)

Well, we love them!   The truth is this:  I buy them in the bag!   Already washed and cut up a little.  I have done them straight from the garden and they are great but LOTS OF WASHING necessary!   I place them in a pot of chicken broth (so much for my 'secret' ingredient) and add garlic, onion both chopped small.  Boil for about an hour - then turn them to low (or place in crock pot) and add 1/4 c. vinegar and 2 t. red pepper flakes.  Love 'em!

Who ever said a 'southern gal' couldn't cook without fatback was WRONG!  I do - and folks eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

Aliesha Caldwell | Feathers in Our Nest said...

Oooh! I'll have to try making green beans like this. We like them steamed and tossed with a dab of butter and a bit of soy sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Your way sounds so yummy!