Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sprouts, Caesar Salad and Shrooms!

The week before Christmas I had my two oldest sons and their families over for Sunday dinner after church like always.  I was planning our Christmas Eve Eve dinner, so I asked what they wanted to eat along with my husband's famous smoked salmon.  The answers were as follows:  Angela said, 'Roasted Brussel Sprouts', Jed said, 'Venison Stuffed Mushrooms', and Zachary said, 'Caesar Salad'.  WHAT?  No Peanutbutter balls?  No homemade apple cake?  Who are these people????  Well. . .sure enough that is what I cooked - - with the exception of the venison (don't have any - so just stuffed shrooms!).  We all really enjoyed the meal, so I thought I would post the recipes!

ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS (if you don't like brussel sprouts, this style may change your mind!)

Cut fresh brussel sprouts in half and place in large bowl or zip lock bag.  Add olive oil, FRESH minced garlic, freshly ground pepper, salt (if desired) and toss or shake.  Spread on cookie sheet and roast at 400 till they start to turn brown.  One thing I love about roasted vegies is that I can make them ahead and reheat without them turning mushy.  I made these early Friday morning and reheated in a warm oven to serve at 6 p.m.  Optional addition:  add diced canadian bacon and toss when reheating.

CAESAR SALAD WITH HOMEMADE DRESSING AND CROUTONS

DRESSING (no raw eggs!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 2 t. anchovie paste (I used 2!)
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 t. dijon or spicy brown mustard
1 t. worcestershire sauce
1 cup mayonaise (something I NEVER have or use, but got for this special occasion!)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
Chill - overnight works great!
Set out of refridgerator about 1 hour before tossing salad

CROUTONS

Cut bread into cubes (any kind works!)
Toss with olive oil and spices.  I used garlic powder and aleppo pepper.  Bake on cookie sheet till crunchy about 15 to 20 minutes.  Store in air tight container till serving.

Cut romaine into bite size pieces.  Toss in dressing right before serving, add croutons, and more parm.
Big Hit!  Again, I made this all ahead and tossed right at the last minute.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Wash large mushroom caps.  Make a stuffing of homemade breadcrumb, pepper jack (grated), olive oil to moisten, oregano, fresh parley.  Stuff ahead of time and then bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Just so you know . . .we had peanut butter balls as well . . .

2 comments:

Aliesha Caldwell | Feathers in Our Nest said...

Thanks for these great recipes!

Angela said...

That dressing was SO good! I'm going to make it soon!